Colombia, known for its vibrant culture, stunning landscapes, and warm hospitality, also boasts a rich culinary scene. Its cuisine, deeply influenced by its diverse geography and cultural heritage, is a delightful blend of flavours. Here are the top five restaurants that you must visit when in Colombia.
- Leo: Located in Bogotá, Leo is a culinary gem. Chef Leonor Espinosa’s innovative menu showcases the diversity of Colombia’s unique ingredients, many of which are sourced from remote regions of the country. The restaurant’s modern, elegant setting and the extensive wine list add to the overall dining experience. The ‘Biome Menu’ is a standout.
- El Cielo: Also in Bogotá, El Cielo offers a unique dining experience. Chef Juan Manuel Barrientos’s menu reflects his passion for Colombian cuisine and his innovative approach to gastronomy. The ‘Journey Menu’, a multi-course tasting menu, offers a gastronomic adventure not to be missed.
- Carmen: Situated in Medellín, Carmen offers a fusion of Colombian and international flavours. The menu, curated by Chefs Carmen Angel and Rob Pevitts, features dishes that masterfully combine flavours and textures. The ‘Crispy Pork Belly with Green Mango Slaw’ and the ‘Ceviche Carmen’ are must-tries.
- Harry Sasson: Located in Bogotá, Harry Sasson is renowned for its blend of Colombian and international cuisine. The restaurant, set in a stunning mansion, offers a blend of sophistication and culinary excellence. The ‘Grilled Octopus with Chorizo’ and the ‘Lobster Risotto’ are highlights.
- La Vitrola: Situated in Cartagena, La Vitrola offers a celebration of Caribbean cuisine. The restaurant’s vibrant decor and live music provide a lively, welcoming atmosphere. The menu features classic dishes like ‘Ropa Vieja’ and ‘Seafood Paella’, all prepared with locally sourced ingredients.
These five restaurants encapsulate the culinary diversity and richness of Colombia. From innovative establishments offering gourmet Colombian cuisine to those offering a unique Caribbean experience, there’s something to satisfy every palate. So, on your next visit to Colombia, make sure to embark on this gastronomic adventure.