Kenya, known for its rich history, stunning landscapes, and vibrant culture, also boasts a dynamic culinary scene. Its cuisine, deeply rooted in African traditions and diverse local ingredients, is a delightful blend of flavours. Here are the top five restaurants that you must visit when in Kenya.
- Carnivore: Located in Nairobi, Carnivore is a culinary gem. The restaurant offers a unique dining experience, with a menu that showcases the best of Kenyan barbecue. The restaurant’s vibrant setting and the extensive wine list add to the overall dining experience. The ‘Ostrich Meatballs’ and the ‘Crocodile Tails’ are standouts.
- Tamarind: Also in Nairobi, Tamarind offers a unique blend of traditional and contemporary Kenyan cuisine. The menu, curated by Chef Michael Owino, is a testament to his passion for fresh, local ingredients. The ‘Prawn Masala’ and the ‘Crab’ are must-tries.
- Talisman: Situated in Nairobi, Talisman offers a unique dining experience. The restaurant’s vibrant atmosphere and hearty dishes provide a welcoming setting. The menu features classic Kenyan dishes like ‘Nyama Choma’ and ‘Samosas’, all prepared with locally sourced ingredients.
- Ali Barbour’s Cave Restaurant: Located in Diani Beach, Ali Barbour’s Cave Restaurant is renowned for its blend of creativity and culinary sophistication. The restaurant’s unique cave setting and warm hospitality provide a welcoming atmosphere. The ‘Grilled Lobster’ and the ‘Mango and Ginger Crème Brûlée’ are highlights.
- Mandhari: Situated in Nairobi, Mandhari offers a celebration of traditional Kenyan cuisine. The menu, curated by Chef Kiran Jethwa, features classic Kenyan dishes, prepared with a modern twist. The ‘Lamb Tagine’ and the ‘Masala Fish’ are standouts.
These five restaurants encapsulate the culinary diversity and richness of Kenya. From vibrant establishments offering gourmet Kenyan barbecue to those offering a unique fusion experience, there’s something to satisfy every palate. So, on your next visit to Kenya, make sure to embark on this gastronomic adventure. Bon appétit, or as they say in Kenya.