Israel, known for its rich history, diverse cultures, and stunning landscapes, also boasts a dynamic culinary scene. Its cuisine, deeply rooted in Middle Eastern influences and diverse local ingredients, is a delightful blend of traditional and innovative flavours. Here are the top five restaurants that you must visit when in Israel.
- Shila – Sharon Cohen’s Kitchen & Bar: Located in Tel Aviv, Shila is a culinary gem. Chef Sharon Cohen’s innovative menu showcases the best of Israeli cuisine, with a contemporary twist. The restaurant’s vibrant setting and the extensive wine list add to the overall dining experience. The ‘Beef Tartare’ and the ‘Shila Burger’ are standouts.
- Machneyuda: Situated in Jerusalem, Machneyuda offers a unique blend of traditional and contemporary Israeli cuisine. The menu, curated by Chef Assaf Granit, is a testament to his passion for fresh, local ingredients. The ‘Polenta with Asparagus’ and the ‘Sea Bream with Yogurt’ are must-tries.
- Taizu: Located in Tel Aviv, Taizu offers a unique dining experience. Chef Yuval Ben Neriah’s menu reflects the diverse culinary traditions of Southeast Asia, with a Middle Eastern touch. The ‘Dim Sum’ and the ‘Seafood Curry’ are delights.
- Ouzeria: Also in Tel Aviv, Ouzeria is renowned for its blend of Mediterranean and Israeli cuisine. The restaurant’s modern decor and warm hospitality provide a welcoming atmosphere. The menu features classic dishes like ‘Shakshuka’ and ‘Grilled Calamari’, all prepared with a modern twist.
- Eucalyptus: Situated in Jerusalem, Eucalyptus offers a celebration of traditional Israeli cuisine. The menu, curated by Chef Moshe Basson, features classic Israeli dishes, prepared with a modern twist. The ‘Fig Stuffed with Chicken’ and the ‘Lamb with Apricots’ are standouts.
These five restaurants encapsulate the culinary diversity and richness of Israel. From innovative establishments offering gourmet Israeli cuisine to those offering a unique fusion experience, there’s something to satisfy every palate. So, on your next visit to Israel, make sure to embark on this gastronomic adventure.