Bathed in Mediterranean sunshine and rich with gastronomic tradition, Cyprus offers a culinary landscape as diverse as its history. Greek, Turkish, and Middle Eastern influences merge to create a cuisine both familiar and unique. Here are the top five places to eat in Cyprus.
1. **Ta Piatakia** – Nestled in the heart of Limassol, Ta Piatakia (meaning ‘little plates’) offers a modern take on traditional Cypriot cuisine. Under the stewardship of chef Roddy Damalis, the restaurant serves up dishes like Aphrodite’s Salad and slow-cooked lamb in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
2. **Pyxida Fish Tavern** – Located in Nicosia, Pyxida Fish Tavern is renowned for its exceptional seafood. The restaurant serves fresh local fish prepared simply and beautifully, letting the ingredients shine. The traditional meze, a selection of small dishes, is an excellent way to sample the variety of Cyprus’s marine offerings.
3. **7 St. Georges Tavern** – This rustic tavern in Paphos is the epitome of farm-to-table dining. Known for its seasonal and organic meze dishes, 7 St. Georges Tavern offers a rotating menu that reflects the best of Cyprus’s local produce, from home-cured meats to freshly picked herbs.
4. **Hondros Tavern** – In the bustling city of Larnaca, Hondros Tavern is a favourite among locals and tourists alike. Known for its Makaronia tou Fournou, a traditional Cypriot pasta bake, and its exceptional Kleftiko, a slow-cooked lamb dish, Hondros provides an authentic taste of Cypriot home cooking.
5. **Ouzeri** – Situated on the coast of Ayia Napa, Ouzeri offers panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea and an array of dishes inspired by the traditional Cypriot ‘ouzeri’ eateries. Their meze, featuring local favorites like grilled octopus and tzatziki, perfectly complements their selection of ouzo and local wines.
These top five dining destinations provide a well-rounded taste of Cyprus’s culinary traditions. From the creative Cypriot dishes at Ta Piatakia to the delectable seafood at Pyxida Fish Tavern and the traditional fare at Hondros Tavern, these restaurants invite you to immerse yourself in the rich flavors of Cyprus.