Chile, stretching along the western edge of South America, offers a vibrant culinary scene shaped by its coastal bounty, high-altitude vineyards, and rich cultural influences. From rustic seafood joints to upscale dining, here are the top five places to eat in Chile.
1. **Boragó** – Located in Santiago, Boragó is one of Latin America’s most acclaimed restaurants. Under Chef Rodolfo Guzmán’s stewardship, the restaurant explores Chile’s diverse landscape through its Endémica menu, featuring foraged and often overlooked ingredients from the Atacama Desert to Patagonia. This is a dining experience that goes beyond the plate, telling the story of Chile’s unique ecosystems.
2. **Pasta e Vino** – Nestled in the coastal city of Viña del Mar, Pasta e Vino is an Italian restaurant with a Chilean soul. Known for its homemade pasta, fresh seafood, and an extensive selection of Chilean wines, this eatery is a favorite among locals and tourists alike.
3. **La Mar** – This beloved restaurant in Santiago serves up some of the best seafood in Chile. Offering a range of traditional dishes like ceviche, causa, and tiraditos, La Mar is the perfect place to explore the country’s coastal cuisine in a vibrant, casual setting.
4. **Restaurant 040** – Hidden away in Santiago’s Bellavista neighborhood, Restaurant 040 is a culinary secret worth discovering. Spanish Chef Sergio Barroso offers a tasting menu that combines avant-garde techniques with Chilean ingredients, creating a gastronomic experience that challenges and delights the palate.
5. **Elkika Ilmenau** – No visit to Chile would be complete without trying a classic Chacarero (a traditional sandwich of thinly sliced churrasco-style steak, tomatoes, green beans, and chili). Elkika Ilmenau, an old-school sandwich joint in Santiago, has been serving this beloved dish for decades and is hailed as one of the best places to try it.
These top five dining destinations offer a range of culinary experiences that encapsulate Chile’s diverse gastronomy. From the innovative tasting menus of Boragó and Restaurant 040 to the comforting simplicity of a Chacarero at Elkika Ilmenau, each restaurant offers a unique taste of Chile’s vibrant food culture.