Belgium, known worldwide for its chocolates and waffles, offers a culinary scene that is as diverse and rich as its cultural heritage. From its haute cuisine to hearty comfort food, Belgium offers a gastronomic adventure for every palate. Here are the top five dining destinations to explore in Belgium.
1. **Comme chez Soi** – This Brussels icon has long held a reputation as one of Belgium’s best restaurants. At Comme chez Soi, fourth-generation chef Lionel Rigolet crafts an imaginative menu that marries classic Belgian ingredients with modern techniques. The restaurant’s Art Nouveau decor, complete with original Tiffany stained-glass windows, sets the stage for standout dishes such as sea bass with gray shrimp.
2. **The Jane** – Set in a former military hospital chapel in Antwerp, The Jane is an extraordinary dining destination. Led by Michelin-starred chef Sergio Herman, the restaurant serves an avant-garde tasting menu that transforms fresh, local ingredients into edible works of art. The dramatic high ceilings and stunning light installation add to the overall dining experience.
3. **Bistro ‘t Verschil** – For a taste of traditional Belgian fare, head to Bistro ‘t Verschil in Gits. This charming bistro serves beloved classics such as Flemish stew, ‘waterzooi’ (creamy fish or chicken stew), and ‘stoemp’ (mashed vegetables and potatoes). The cozy, rustic atmosphere, paired with these comforting dishes, make for a delightful culinary experience.
4. **Le Château du Mylord** – Nestled in the rolling hills of the Wallonian countryside, Le Château du Mylord is a two-Michelin-star restaurant offering an elegant dining experience. Brothers Thoma and Vincent combine their talents in the kitchen to create dishes that are rooted in Belgian tradition but elevated with a modern twist. Paired with an impressive wine list and picturesque views, dining here is an absolute pleasure.
5. **Frites Atelier** – No visit to Belgium is complete without indulging in its world-renowned frites. At Frites Atelier, located in several cities throughout Belgium, acclaimed chef Sergio Herman has transformed the humble potato fry into a gourmet treat. Served with a variety of homemade sauces, these frites are a must-try.
These top five dining destinations in Belgium offer a mix of traditional and contemporary culinary experiences, highlighting the country’s gastronomic diversity. From high-end dining to the simplicity of perfectly cooked frites, Belgium’s food scene invites you to feast on its culture, one bite at a time.