Bulgaria, known for its rich history, stunning landscapes, and warm hospitality, also boasts a vibrant culinary scene. Its cuisine, deeply rooted in Balkan traditions, is a delightful blend of flavours. Here are the top five restaurants that you must visit when in Bulgaria.
- Made in Home: Located in Sofia, Made in Home is a culinary gem. The restaurant offers a unique farm-to-table dining experience, with a focus on organic, locally sourced ingredients. The menu changes seasonally, reflecting the best of Bulgarian produce. The ‘Homemade Goat Cheese Salad’ and the ‘Bulgarian Beef Stew’ are standouts.
- The Little Things: Also in Sofia, The Little Things offers a blend of Mediterranean and Bulgarian cuisine. The menu, curated by Chef Andrey Stoilov, is a testament to his passion for fresh, local ingredients. The restaurant’s modern, elegant setting provides a serene backdrop. The ‘Grilled Octopus with Baba Ganoush’ is a must-try.
- Shtastlivitsa: Situated in Veliko Tarnovo, Shtastlivitsa offers a unique dining experience. The restaurant’s rustic decor and warm hospitality provide a cozy, welcoming atmosphere. The menu features hearty Bulgarian dishes, such as ‘Kavarma’ (a traditional meat stew) and ‘Banitsa’ (a cheese-filled pastry), all prepared with locally sourced ingredients.
- Happy Bar & Grill: A popular chain throughout Bulgaria, Happy Bar & Grill is renowned for its diverse menu that caters to all tastes. From traditional Bulgarian dishes like ‘Shopska Salad’ to international favourites like burgers and pizzas, there’s something for everyone. The ‘Mixed Grill Platter’ is a delight.
- Rakia & Co: Located in Sofia, Rakia & Co offers a celebration of Bulgarian cuisine and the country’s national drink, rakia. The menu, curated by Chef Georgi Boykovski, features classic Bulgarian dishes, prepared with a modern twist. The ‘Stuffed Peppers with Cheese’ and the ‘Rakia Tasting Set’ are highlights.
These five restaurants encapsulate the culinary diversity and richness of Bulgaria. From innovative establishments offering organic Bulgarian cuisine to those offering a unique rakia tasting experience, there’s something to satisfy every palate. So, on your next visit to Bulgaria, make sure to embark on this gastronomic adventure.